Saturday, March 23, 2013

Dome gear, dome drive and more

Over the past week or two, I have been working on making more progress on R2-D2 #2.
With the dome plate made, it was time to make a dome gear out of aluminum, as I had done for the first droid.







I cleaned up the dome gear some and my friend, Fred, insisted it should be shinier, so he hit it with some steel wool.





For better clearance for the dome drive sprocket to spin under the dome gear, I added a washer to each spot the mounting screws came thru.

I'm using the Pololu 37D 67:1 motor which turns at 150 rpm.

We cut a sprocket out of Delrin (plastic) and used the hole pattern for the motor hub that Pololu sells.

To mount the motor, I used the Pololu motor bracket.  I just flattened it out and drilled some holes to attach it to the metal frame ring.







And here it is in operation...