Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Trying out the inner dome hinge process

Tonight I took some time to file the dome panels a bit more uniform and then cleaned up the excess slag from that.  Again the dremel made quick work of this with the sanding bit.



I wanted to do a test run with one of the dome panels and try attaching one.  I was curious what spacers, screw length and such I would need to get a good fit.

First I used one of the backs of the hinge and lined it up even with the edge of the panel.




Once I had the holes marked, I tried to find my center punch.  I couldn't locate it so as a result, one of the holes I drilled wandered up a bit.  


With the holes drilled with a 1/8 inch drill bit, I countersunk the hole so the 4-40 screws would fit flush.  I screwed the bolt and nut together and could tell I would need something behind the hinge to accommodate for the curvature of the dome.  I think a very small, rubber washer will be ideal.


I would like to also replace the 4-40 nuts with larger, 4-40 lock nuts with nylon inserts.


With that attached, here's how it looks from outside...





I think the process will work well.  I just need to accommodate for the dome curvature with the hinge mount....and of course, find that center punch!  No more wandering drill bits!