Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pondering what to use inside the dome for servos

As I start to think about the next few steps ahead, one thing I am considering doing is using micro-servos for all the dome's hinged panels.

I've used them before but wasn't happy with the flimsy plastic horns they came with.  Too much flex when attached to the metal push rods.

However upon doing some research, I have found both metal mini-servo brackets and aluminum servo horns.  For me, this makes the idea of using a micro-servo much more appealing.  Plus, there will be some weight savings using these versus the regular sized servos.






With the lower panels I have chosen to hinge, I will need 6 of these and the top, pie panels, 5 more.  

It'll take a while to get these as the R2 building fund is pretty low lately!  But, for now, I can at least plot out what I will need.