Thursday, November 4, 2010

R2-D2 #2 now has steel feet

Today the JAG steel feet for my second R2 arrived.  I was able to purchase a set from another R2 Builder who was willing to part with them (pun intended).

These are identical to what I have on my first R2-D2.  The gentleman I bought them from had already cleaned and primed them, so that saves me some time!



With the exception of some detail pieces, I have both legs, ankles and feet for the droid. 



Now I can start doing some prototype work with some ideas I have for locking and pivoting the ankles for R2 to go from 3-leg mode to 2-leg mode (known as 2-3-2 in the building world).

In a few weeks, the foot drives should arrive, which is what R2 #1 has been using with great success.   

I am also looking to make this droid lighter than the first.  Things like using resin detail pieces instead of aluminum is one area I am looking to try.