Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Front and Rear logic display lighting with Arduino!

The lighting system used on my first R2-D2 is the JEDI lighting setup.  The lighting is outstanding and I have wanted to get another set for this second droid.  

However, there aren't any active runs going on.  But, some of the builders have started on a project making their own setup that uses the Ardiuno microcontroller.  One builder offers the circuit board, another makes the templates and you just have to find the LEDs and other parts to make it all work.  I've never done anything like this before but the results I have seen are impressive.  The other big thing is the price....the JEDI lights are beautiful, assembled but run around $300.  For what you see in the picture below...under $100.  

 I have a fair amount of learning to do.  Soldering, testing, programming the Arduino and who knows what next!  Should be fun!