Thursday, November 8, 2012

Prepping dome panels and removing spin lines

Tonight I dedicated some time to work on the dome panels again.

Earlier I had experimented on how much work it would take to get the panels to a fine polished finish.  Since the Dykem Blue dye that will be airbrushed on is transparent, the spin lines would show thru otherwise.

Several of the panels had spin lines that 120 grit sandpaper couldn't tame down.  So, I decided to do all of the panels with 60 grit sandpaper tonight.  Over the next few days, I will work on bringing them closer to that shiny finish with increasing grit level sandpaper....120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and then the Mother's aluminum polish applied with the drill-mounted polishing ball.

Here's how the pieces look now...







Today I also replaced the used airbrush with a new one, a Testors model that should work just fine for spraying the Dykem blue!