Saturday, October 20, 2012

Let the paint work begin!

Today was the day to begin paint a few pieces and see how things went.

I already had a small stack of resin and metal pieces that are ready to go...

Coin slots and power couplers

Resin booster rocket covers, aluminum utility arms, large data port and the vent surround piece
 I decided to dismantle the power couplers and used painters tape to protect the areas that will not get painted.



Here is how the parts looked after being painted.


I had problems with my airbrush maintaining a normal flow of Dykem.  I really need a new one...but I had been able to make it work up til now.  As a result of that, some parts will need to be wiped down with Dykem Cleaner and do again...as in the case of the utility arms would up with some heavy spots...



The power couplers came out alright.  The tape removal managed to remove to peel off a bit of blue paint here and there....but still a good result overall.



With camera flash on
The coin slots probably came out the best.  After using the Dremel sanding wheel flap to remove paint from the front of the slots, I used some 400 grit sandpaper to clean it up even more...



So a few parts got done today.  Once I have the airbrush resolved...or replaced, we'll get more painting done.  In the mean time, I have plenty more pieces that need sanding and polishing!