Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Prime and paint the aluminum skirt, slabs and battery boxes

Today it was time to clean, prime and paint the aluminum skirt, the slabs that attach to it, and the battery boxes.  I had already primed the battery boxes two years ago but they were pretty dusty from being in storage.  

First some cleaning of all the pieces...

I use an old screen for cleaning/drying pieces...the screen allows for excellent air flow.

These are the aluminum slabs.  Aluminum naturally clouds when not protected.  We'll clean it up.

This set of battery boxes has a removable back panel.  We'll have to prime and paint the screw heads too
Etching primer applied...

I forgot I needed to prime the center foot side plates...I cleaned and added those to he to do list

Primed the slabs, making sure to get the front, sides, top and bottom.  The backside will not be seen and don't need paint
And on goes the Rustoleum Satin White



Tomorrow I will do some light sanding with 600 and 800 grit to smooth the finish.  If needed, another light coat of white.  Why no clear enamel?  As I learned with the previous R2, if I need to patch a ding or dent, its just a blast of white paint away.  

In the next few days, it will be time to get the rear skins started...