Monday, July 30, 2012

Test fitting booster pieces and battery boxes attached

After all the work I've done on these aluminum pieces, I wanted to do a test fit to make sure they would work out alright.

Everything went together very smoothly.   One complication I can see is that the rocket booster will be tricky to properly align when extended.  Note to self on that!


I also tested out the fit for the swing arms.








I don't quite have the right shoulder screw for the piece to smoothly articulate.  But, with some minor bending here and there, it all fits.


Next up was to get out the fine files and shave away and bumpy spots from the CNC cutting.


After a few minutes of filing, a much smoother surface.
Next up was to finish attaching the detail pieces to the outer feet and then attaching the battery boxes.


The battery boxes hang from a keyhole cut out in the feet.  It takes a few moments to line up the box, mark the spots and drill/tap a hole.  The battery boxes hang from a 10-24 thread pan-head screw.




One foot down, on to the next...





Next up for these guys will be the battery harnesses and ankle details, which need to have the R2 blue paint applied.  Both pieces are resin copies of the aluminum pieces.  With this R2-D2, I am striving to cut down weight where I can, so every little savings adds up!