Saturday, May 8, 2010

Front skin assembly using 3M VHB 2mm tape

The assembling of the skins is one of the things that all R2-D2 builders fret over.

No one wants to skins to not look right.  They are two layers of aluminum and create the beveled look that R2's doors and panels have.

Some use silicone.  Some use JB Weld, 3M #77 spray adhesive or any of the instant-mix/fast drying epoxies on the market.  All have their pro's and cons.

I used silicone before but it was a bit too thick for my liking.

I used JB Weld on smaller panels and hinges in the past with mixed luck.

3M #77 spray adhesive didn't work very well for me on my first set of skins.  I wound up dabbing in a lot of Super Glue in areas that didn't bond well or cracked a few weeks later.

On my first R2, for the rear skins, I used Loctite's 1 Minute Epoxy.  A spiral syringe mixes the components and as you would imagine, dries quickly.  And to date, it has worked very, very well.  The only pause I had using it on the front skins is the adhesive is very watery.  With the many panels and doors of the front skins, I just wasn't comfortable using it.  I didn't want to deal with drip lines and the sort.

One thing a few of the other builders found is the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double-sided tape.  At 2mm, its very thin and requires a gentle hand to apply.  This is the kind of adhesive some use for auto detail pieces, such as trim and so forth.  

So I made up my mind and decided to go for it.

First up was to clean the back of the outer skins up, which would require wiping them down with acetone and sit outside to dry for an hour.


After the skins were try and clean, it was time to apply the tape to the skin.

The tape is a bit wider than the panel lines in some spots.  Since the adhesive clumps off easily if you aren't careful, I applied the tape then trimmed with a razor blade in the tougher spots.



I'll let this sit for the next 24 hours before the fun process of peeling the paper backing off....then....carefully lining up the skins and clamping together.