Sunday, May 9, 2010

Front skins...a minor obstacle.

Well, live and learn...when I went to peel off the paper backing on the 3M adhesive, most of the adhesive came up with it...


It took about an hour to remove all the tape and adhesive.

I took a good look at the skins and realized I should have sanded more aggressively.  Whatever is built up on the surface of the aluminum, despite cleaning with acetone, needs to be removed.

Today I sanded the skin down with 120 grit sandpaper using the mouse sander.  I sanded until I had the surface scratched and shiney...


And after wiping away any dust/residue, it was time to dig out the tape, razer and scissors and go at it again...


I'm going to let the tape set for 24 hours.  Since the tape is pressure sensitive, I used a small socket to roll on the tape, helping the bond.

Tomorrow I'll sand the other skin panel, where this will bond to.