Thursday, May 20, 2010

Installing hinges to the front skin panels


Tonight I began work on the front panels.

First I had to line up and secure the panels into position on the skin...



For hinges I am using the JAG hinges.


Next up was to carefully place where the hinges would be placed.  I clamped them into place and used a pencil to trace the outline on the skins.  I will use the dremel and a sanding bit to remove paint and buff clean the aluminum for a good bond with the epoxy.





The hinges also need to be sanded to assure a good bond...




I am using GOOP to adhere the hinges to the skins.  It worked really well on my first R2. 

After applying some of the adhesive to the hinges and skins/panels, I waited 5 minutes, gently placed them into position and clamped them carefully.





This will have to dry for 24 hours.

Next up is to clean up the door panels a bit and get them ready to mount next!