Sunday, May 2, 2010

Replacing Phillips head screws with hex head, legs and ankles are on

Today I decided to give R2-D2 #2 some attention after largely sitting in boxes for the past few weeks.  With R2-D2 # 1 operational, I have pondered many things I would do differently on the the "uber" model.

One thing that has always been a hassle has been putting a screwdriver onto a screw after the fact.  While putting together some of these pieces, later on down the line, you need to get at them.  Such as the center vent rails...

  

Ah much better!

I repeated this with the Utility Arm Carrier back plate.  The tiny 4-40 screws are much easier to get at with the hex wrench.


Another idea I am going back to is the Globe Rotary motors.  The beauty of this newer frame design is that Jerry has kept the old mounting holes from the original frame.  Thus I am able to use my original mounting hardware in the new frame.


Next up was to put together the legs and ankles from JAG.  He includes a new mounting plate which makes bolting them together a cinch.  In the "old" days, we used 4 aluminum spacers and could be a challenge to line up and screw in!


Next up was to mount the legs to the shoulder hub.  This went together very slick, largely thanks to doing it all before!  I even mounted up my aluminum shoulder horseshoe...


Essentially the only big pieces I am missing are the outer feet.  Asides that, its all small detail pieces that I may opt for lighter, resin alternatives.  

That's where # 2 is at now!