Monday, May 31, 2010

Installing the electronics door and shelf

While I was down in New Hampshire, I was able to pick up some parts from my friend Jerry Greene.  Jerry had some spare electronics tray/doors for the frames he designed.  He also had a shelf piece that he had made that he wasn't going to use.  

The electronics tray is identical to what I installed in my first R2-D2.  It required a bit of tweaking to make fit but I has worked out great.  For the second R2, with the newer frame, its just a matter of bolting it in!



The shelf piece required a bit more modification since the door bread pans in each tall door interfere.


After some diligent cutting with a reinforced cutting disc on the Dremel, I was able to trim them down to fit.


Here's the finished product installed....


Originally this piece was going to be used for a 2-3-2 center ankle mechanism using a NPC 2212 motor, the same motors that propel the foot drives.  As such, each side is trimmed away for a swing arm and pre-cut holes to attach the NPC motor.  However it never went beyond the experimentation stage.  

For my uses, first and foremost, its a place for R2's netbook to sit!  As for anything beyond that, its too early to tell.