Thursday, May 13, 2010

Front skins bonded together with VHB tape

The second time around seems to have worked.

After letting the VHB tape set for four days, it was time to get the inner skin ready.

I wanted to make sure I got a good bond, so I roughed up the skin with some 120 grit sandpaper on the mouse sander...


I then went up to some 220 grit sandpaper...


Then I used the buffing pad (looks like a brillo pad) to clean up and give the skin a smooth look.  Remember, parts of the skin will be visible once the outer piece is glued out, so we don't want and sander lines.


And then it was time to remove all the paper backing from the tape on the outer skin.  This is very slow, delicate work...so if the furry pets are around, lock them up.  This is a BAD time to be jittery so make sure you have gone easy on the coffee!

Here's the back of the outer skin with all the paper backing removed, ready to bond...


Here's the end result...using the coin slot holes to line the skins up, I started clamping there and working my way outwards.


I actually started to run out of clamps so I had to spread them out a bit.  

The clamps will stay in place for the next day or two so the adhesive can reach full strength.